Liberty Municipal Court Lawyer

Aramjoo Law Firm LLC helps individuals in the Liberty, Kansas City, and surrounding areas with municipal court violations.

Many cities have municipal courts that hear civil or criminal cases. The municipal court may hear matters relating to traffic, ordinances and various other violations.

What is an ordinance? Put simply – an ordinance is a law passed by a city, town or county. The power to enact and enforce ordinances is granted by the state. Ordinances can have a range of punishment that may range from a monetary penalty to jail time.

Often times, a person may have their first run-in with the court system in a municipal court having to do with a city violation.

Collectively, a city can have laws or ordinances that can cover a broad array of activities including but not limited to:

  • Cemeteries
  • Animals
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Housing
  • Motor Vehicle and Traffic
  • Nuisances
  • Parks

Violations of ordinances or city laws usually do not result in a criminal record but are routinely reported to the Department of Revenue. More severe city violations, in some cases, may be classified as misdemeanors.

Similar to state actions, local municipalities are required to designate an attorney to prosecute violations. As with crimes brought by the state, the city has the burden to prove the violation of the ordinance or city law was violated. The burden that the prosecutor must meet is “beyond a reasonable doubt” that the defendant violated the ordinance or city law.

When you are issued a city violation, certain rights and responsibilities usually exist including:

  • Having to appear on your court date
  • The right to hire an attorney
  • The right to trial by a judge
  • The right to remain silent
  • The right to appeal

If you have been accused of violating a city law, it is important to tread carefully. A violation can carry severe penalties, including losing the ability to drive.

Hiring an attorney to help handle the violation can not only reduce the overall cost of the violation but can also lessen the impact of the offense. Many courts require payment on the date of plea or a finding of guilt. An attorney may be able to work with the prosecutor or judge in order to give the defendant time to pay or set up a payment plan.

Each city or municipality has very different rules and an attorney can assist you in reaching the best resolution to the ordinance violation. Appeals of municipal cases occur in the state court of the county in which it sits.

A list of ordinances or city laws can be found at

The attorneys at the Aramjoo Law Firm handle all ordinance and city law violations. Contact us today!

Free Consultation


"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential