Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) both carry serious charges in Missouri. Being found guilty of either can have a devastating impact on your life. If you are stopped and arrested for either, you need an experienced Missouri criminal defense attorney on your side right away. Call Aramjoo Law Firm to schedule your confidential consultation.
What to do if You Are Charged with DUI or DWI
If you have been charged with a DUI or DWI, don’t panic, we’re here to help! Before penalties are determined, you will have to attend an arraignment. At that time, you can choose to plead guilty or not guilty. It is important to know the consequences of your plea, so take advantage of your right to a DWI lawyer and call the Aramjoo Law Firm to schedule your consultation. Let us walk through that process with you and give you some peace of mind that you are making the best decision for your situation.
Working with a DUI Lawyer Protects Your Rights
If you have received a DUI or DWI ticket, it’s important to know your rights.
- Why were you pulled over? Police have to have reasonable cause for stopping you. Our team of attorneys will review the police report and determine whether or not there was a reasonable cause. If none is found, there may be no case at all.
- How was your field sobriety test given to you? Sobriety tests have strict procedures that must be followed. If these procedures weren’t followed properly, or if the equipment isn’t properly calibrated, it’s possible your case could be dismissed.
- Are you guilty just because you were charged with DUI or DWI? No! Your case can potentially be won based on procedural errors made during your arrest.
At Aramjoo Law Firm, we investigate every detail of your arrest and the process by which all their evidence was gathered. We know the law and we will fight for you. Trust us with your case by calling (816) 479-5898 right away.
Penalties for Driving Under the Influence
Penalties for driving under the influence vary depending on whether you’ve previously been stopped and found guilty or not. Other factors will also determine what you may face. Here are a few of what you could face if you are stopped, ticketed and found guilty a first, second or third time.
- First DUI Offense – Up to $500 in fines and/or up to six months in jail and a suspended license for 30 days followed by restricted license for 60 days.
- Second DUI Offense – Up to $1,000 in fines and/or up to one year in jail. Your license will be suspended license for at least one year. Longer if the second offense occurred within five years. You may also have to pay to have an Ignition Interlock Device installed which will only allow your car to start if your blood alcohol level is below a certain limit even after receiving your license back.
- Third DUI Offense – Up to $5,000 in fines and up to four years in jail. Mandatory license suspension for 10 years and the installation of an Ignition Interlock Device on your vehicle after restitution and license restoration.
Hiring an inexperienced DWI lawyer or a DUI attorney not experienced in DUI defense can ruin your life and waste your money. Penalties can range anywhere from fines, loss of license, probation and even lengthy jail time. The different penalties depend on many different factors including the following:
- Your blood alcohol level, noted as your BAC
- Whether you are over or under 21
- Driving while intoxicated on a suspended license
- Multiple DUI arrests within a seven-year period
- Being convicted for the third time of a DUI
- Driving under the influence with a minor in the vehicle at the time of arrest
However, if this is your first DUI/DWI arrest, there is a chance your charges could be dropped but only with the help of an experienced DUI lawyer. Our attorneys at Aramjoo Law Firm have the experience to challenge the evidence presented and will aggressively work to have your charges dismissed or reduced so you can return to your job, family and life. Contact us today at (816) 479-5898 for more details!
If You Have a DUI Ticket, Call Aramjoo Law Firm
If you have been arrested and charged with a DUI or DWI, get informed! Putting your fate into an inexperienced or overworked DUI attorney could mean the difference between a fine or jail time. Don’t take that life-altering chance! Our team is standing by ready to take on your case and fight for you! Call now to schedule your consultation at (816) 479-5898 or fill out our contact form.